The RV Trivia Challenge No. 2
The Lug_Nut RV Trivia Challenge No. 2. If you did okay on the RV Trivia Challenge No. 1, you may be on the road to becoming an RV Guru. Others may be settling into a well informed RV enthusiast while still some may well be slipping into an “RV For Dummies” candidate rating. If you missed the first RV Challenge, here’s a link to it. The RV Trivia Challenge Keep in mind, this is a trivia. It is not based on one RV type rig. So, regardless of your type of camping, there should be some things that are familiar.
Well. Let’s get at it! Be sure to post your score, and or comments, in the comment box at the very bottom. Good Luck!!!
The Lug_Nut RV Trivia Challenge No. 2
1) The hitch point of a 5th wheel trailer pivots the tow and towed vehicle …………
- A) At the rear most part of the tow vehicle
- B) Near, or over the axle of the tow vehicle
- C) It does not pivot, the trailer becomes part of the tow vehicle, similar to a bus
2) If your house battery bank was rated at 400 amp/hrs, how long should you run a 20 amp load on a fully charged bank?
- A) 10 hours
- B) 20 hours
- C) 40 hours
- D) 15 hour 30 minutes
3) What would the maximum output be of a 5000 watt generator operating in Denver Colorado?
- A) About 5000 watts
- B) About 5350 watts
- C) About 4225 watts
- D) About 4805 watts
4) What is meant by the term “3 way fridge”?
- A) It refers to a three door, side by side frig
- B) It has a fridge, a freezer and an ice maker
- C) It operates on 12 VDC, 120 VAC or gasoline
- D) It operates on 12 VDC, 120 VAC or propane
5) In the movie RV, staring Robin Williams, what was he and his wife’s character names.
- A) Bob and Jamie Munro
- B) Steve and Janie Roberts
- C) Dave and June Munro
- D) Bob and Jane Munro
6) At what RPM might you expect of a turbo charger turbine? Gas or diesel
- A) In excess of 5,000 RPM
- B) It’s driven by the engine, so it matches the engine speed
- C) 90,000 to 150,000 RPM and higher
- D) 15,000 to 20,000 RPM give or take 1,000 RPM
7) What is one of the advantages of having your tires nitrogen filled instead of plain air?
- A) You will never have a flat tire
- B) Nitrogen molecules are larger than that of oxygen, therefore it won’t loose as much pressure over time through the tire casing
- C) Faster acceleration due to the molecules of the nitrogen, similar to racing cars
- D) There are basically no advantages in today’s tires
8) When hooked up to full services for a long stay, the following is one of the acceptable black/grey valve configurations used.
- A) Both black and grey valves in the open position
- B) The black valve closed with the grey valve open
- C) The black valve open with the grey valve closed
- D) It does not matter if which or any valves are open or closed
9) You are driving your RV in Canada and come upon a bridge that has a weight limit of 15 Tonnes. What capacity is this in pounds?
- A) 30,000 lbs.
- B) 42,454 lbs.
- C) 33,069 lbs.
- D) 27,054 lbs.
10) What is a Fantastic Fan?
- A) A person that supports the N.Y. Jets, even when they loose
- B) An electronic fan that keeps the windshield of a motor home from fogging
- C) A feature rich roof fan used in trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes
- D) A fan that circulates heat, or cool, while the vehicle is moving
11) What is hydronic heating?
- A) Liquid, usually glycol, that is boiler heated and circulated to fan equipped heat exchangers
- B) A newer version of heat pumps that work well in mobile applications
- C) Hydronic is a trade name for a heat strip equipped reverse cycle air conditioner
- D) Hydronic heating is a land base installed heating system that is not suitable for mobile use
12) What year did the Dodge Cummins B series engine become fully electronic and went to four valves per cylinder?
- A) 1989
- B) 2000
- C) 1998
- D) 2005
13) Cummins diesels in a motor home application are equipped with cold weather electronic starting aids, except the following model(s)
- A) ISM and ISX
- B) There are no exceptions, all are so equipped
- C) ISB, ISC
- D) Intake heating grids are optional on all
14) What is generally the highest overall height of a large class A diesel coach
- A) 11′ 6″
- B) 10′ +
- C) 13′ +
- D) 14′ +
15) How many types of camping recreational vehicles are there?
- A) 5 – Motor homes, Travel trailers, Truck Campers, Folding camping trailers and Conversion vehicles
- B) 6 – Motor homes, Travel trailers, Truck Campers, Folding camping trailers, Conversion vehicles and Tenting
- C) 2 – Motor homes and Trailers
- D) 2 – Motor homes and 5th wheel trailers
16) When backing your rig into a campsite, on a lefthand approach, where is the optimum position of a spotter?
- A) Walking beside the driver window for either coach and trailer
- B) Driver side rear of the coach or trailer always in mirror view
- C) Passenger side rear on a coach and driver side rear on a trailer
- D) Center rear so both sides can be observed easily and communication by vocal or radio
17) How many Cummins series engines are available in today’s motor homes?
- A) 6
- B) 5
- C) 4
- D) 3
18) Newell Coach offers one of two transmissions in their vehicles. They are?
- A) Allison and Twin Disc
- B) Allison and Borg Warner
- C) Allison and ZF
- D) Allison and PowerShift Corp.
19) Most large gasoline coaches today are powered with a 8 or 10 cylinder engine. How many cylinder engine does a large diesel coach have?
- A) 8
- B) 6
- C) 8 to 12
- D) 12
20) Spartan chassis is found on………….
- A) American Coach, Tiffin and Newmar
- B) Monaco, Holiday Rambler and Newmar
- C) Fleetwood, Alpine and American Coach
- D) Rexdale, Tiffin, Newmar and Holiday Rambler
The answers can be found below.
•1) B – Near, or over the axle of the tow vehicle
•2) A – 10 hours
3) C – About 4225 watts
4) D – It operates on 12 VDC, 120 VAC or propane
5) A – Bob and Jamie Munro
6) C – 90,000 to 150,000 RPM and higher
7) B – Nitrogen molecules are larger than that of oxygen, therefore it won’t loose as much pressure over time through the tire casing
8) B – The black valve closed with the grey valve open
9) C – 33,069 lbs.
10) C – A feature rich roof fan used in trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes
11) A – Liquid, usually glycol, that is boiler heated and circulated to fan equipped heat exchangers
12) C – 1998
13) A – ISM and ISX
14) C – 13′ +
15) A – 5 – Motor homes, Travel trailers, Truck Campers, Folding camping trailers and Conversion vehicles
16) C – Passenger side rear on a coach and driver side rear on a trailer
17) B – 5
18) C – Allison and ZF
19) B – 6
20) A – American Coach, Tiffin and Newmar
Your Score Rating:
20 Right – Move to the top of your class. You are this month’s master RV Guru
18 Right – Excellent work. You are a top rated RV Enthusiast. Great going
16 Right – Good score. You know your stuff
14 Right – Believe it or not, you are still above average
12 Right – You are smarter than the average bear
10 Right – Do you always just squeek it through? Better brush up next time
8 – And Below – You are definately a good “RV For Dummies” candidate
So, how did you score? Post your score and comments in the comment section below. Good going!!!
With All Your Trivia – Lug_Nut – Peter Mercer